June 07, 2007

Movie Goodies

Speed Racer's Mach 5!
mach-5-speed-racer.jpg
Finally it looks like an adaptation is willing to trust its source material, with this first shot of the Mach 5 from the Wachowski Brothers' Speed Racer movie looking quite similar to the anime original. I admire how faithful they're staying, but part of me wishes they'd gone with something more similar to a '94 Ford Taurus wagon. Maybe then people would stop the mockery once they saw I was just a paint job away from driving the Mach 5, instead of a '94 Ford Taurus wagon.

Michel Gondry- First Image from
'Be Kind, Rewind'

bekindrewind.jpg

I wouldn't usually post a single image from a movie that's not coming out for almost a year (April 2008, to be exact), but since this one's from Michel Gondry, who directed one of my all-time favorites, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I'll give it a pass. Plus, it's got a delightfully strange synopsis:

When Jerry becomes accidentally magnetized while trying to sabotage the power plant he believes is melting his brain, the magnetic field he gives off ends up erasing all of the tapes in the video store where his best friend Mike works. Now Mike may lose his job, and the only way the friends can think to save it is to keep the one regular customer they have - a little old lady with a tenuous grasp on reality - from recognizing what has happened. The way they do this? By recreating and refilming every movie that she decides to rent of course! From Driving Miss Daisy to Ghostbusters to Rush Hour, these two friends become the biggest stars in their neighbourhood by starring in the biggest movies in the world.

War poster
war-poster.jpg
With generally recognized badasses Jet Li and Jason Statham involved, War has a good chance of joining Miami Vice and Rush Hour as my favorite movies about interracial homosexuality in a crime setting. Do these two look in love or what?

Shoot 'Em Up trailer

Real men (and butch women) should watch this new trailer to Shoot 'Em Up. It's like someone finally listened to me when I said, "There should be a movie where there's this awesome dude who's, like, an expert with guns and shit, and he goes around with all these sweet guns shooting bad guys." They even cast Clive Owen as the awesome dude, who we all know is ok to have a bit of a male crush on!

30 Days of Night Teaser poster
30-days-of-night-poster.jpg

In 30 Days of Night, based on the graphic novel series, some vampires move to Alaska to take advantage of the month of darkness geography provides the area, allowing the bastards to drink blood all day without the burden of daylight. It's probably the most clever move in vampire history.

I feel like the poster really captures the mood of, "Arrrggghhh! I'm sick of this! It's been like a month of darkness, plus we've got these vampires, so it's not just the lack of light bothering me!" Looking again, I think it's actually a vampire, so maybe the mood is more, "Arrrrggghhh! I am really loving this 30 days of night! Best vampire idea yet!" You decide.

I Am Legend poster
i-am-legend-poster.jpg
In I Am Legend, Will Smith plays the last man in New York City after a virus turns everyone into vampires, and here's its poster. I have two issues with it:

1. It reminds me too much of The Condemned poster,
which was already a pretty bad poster.
2. It reminds me too much of Will Smith's involvement in a capacity higher than as a fresh prince, which is as much as I'll tolerate of him.

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Paul Caron said...

I am a huge fan of richard matheson and the screenplay for this is terrible. Will Smith is no Vincent Price.

blah said...

You don't really have to be a butch woman to watch Clive Owen be badass ^_^b