July 02, 2010

The Golden Age of PC Gaming

In the late 80s and early 90s I was a PC game fanatic.
Usually the war-based or fantasy-based games were my favorite, but I was addicted to most of the "Quest" games too. Police Quest, Space Quest, King's Quest, were more slow-paced, thinking games, usually all puzzle work. Graphics and gameplay evolved quickly into the beginning of the 90s, literally keeping up with graphics cards in the PC hardware doubling in quality every year.

As I started playing RPGs in school, it was a thrill to play them on the PC too. Arcade games for me were very different than PC/DOS games, the Arcade were for the fighting games, home PC games were for more chilled out gameplay. But when Wolfenstein 3D came out, it was the one that is generally regarded as having popularized the first person shooter genre on the PC, it was soooo much fun.

The first survival-horror games like 'Alone in The Dark' where fun to play. I was never too much into the racing games, but the well-written comedies like Sam & Max were lots of fun as well, despite how rare they were.























By the time Police Quest 3 came out, I was super excited, I felt like I was a real cop! But just like most video games, the more realistic they became, the more boring they got. It's a good thing Rock Star Games came around to create a games with a high level of both in their products.





On a side note, here's the intro to Phantasmagoria.
This game blew my mind in 1995. Made during the height of the "interactive movie" boom in the computer game industry, Phantasmagoria is notable for being one of the first adventure games to use a live actor as an on-screen avatar. The game was released on seven CDs to accommodate the massive amount of video generated by this process. Large portions of data were repeated on each CD, to avoid disk swapping when playing the game.

2 comments:

Tristan Patrick said...

Fantastic collection of games! Im slightly disappointed that day of the tentacle didn't show up on this list or Myst.

Ron said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about Myst. That was a nice one.