October 30, 2015
October 29, 2015
October 25, 2015
Sofia Coppola is the master when it comes to making films about loneliness. 'Somewhere' is a beautiful example of such a film. This video was created to highlight how Coppola has used shot composition to communicate loneliness.
October 24, 2015
Between Frames presents Shooting for Balance, a study of the use of symmetry in Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Only God Forgives'.
"I believe this film can be summed up by the old Chinese philosophy symbol Yin & Yang i.e. the good that can be found in evil and the evil in good. Nicolas Winding Refn uses many techniques to convey this from the lighting used to music played in a scene. This video aims to help viewers look at how a shot is framed and what the balance of a shot can tell us about the power or motives of an object or character."
October 23, 2015
October 22, 2015
October 19, 2015
A night train journey. A wagon full of passengers. An annoying companion in your compartment... What would you be willing to do in order to have a peaceful journey?
Posted by Ron at 8:35 AM
Posted by Ron at 5:55 AM
October 18, 2015
October 16, 2015
Digital Painting and Drawing
- Autodesk SketchBook Copic Edition - This is the limited edition of SketchBook Pro with 72 Copic colours to choose from
- Krita - Krita offers CMYK support, HDR painting, perspective grids, dockers, filters, painting assistants, and many other great features
- GIMP - GIMP is a well known free alternative to Photoshop with similar features
- Mischief Free Version - With six essential brushes, a basic palette of colors and an infinite vector canvas, Mischief-Free is perfect for hashing out ideas, life drawing, and endless doodles
- MyPaint - MyPaint is a fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters, and comes with 39 different brushes
- Verve Painter - Verve is a small painting application that uses fluid dynamics and brushes to push the paint around, though it is still in development.
- Inkscape - Inkscape is an open-source professional quality vector graphics software with sophisticated drawing tools with capabilities comparable to Adobe Illustrator.
- FireAlpaca - A similar program to Paint Tool Sai that offers features such as a snap feature which creates a variety of perspective overlays.
- MediBang Paint - A free lightweight painting program for Windows, Mac Os and Android with cloud saving to allow users to easily switch between platforms.
- SpeedyPainter - Basic painting program with a simple layout and features such as perspective grids and reference view mode
- Google Sketchup - Drawing-based tool for architects, designers, builders, makers and engineers who design for the physical world. SketchUp Make is a free version and SketchUp Pro is a paid version with additional functionality.
- Sculptris - A free, introductory digital sculpting tool, a great stepping stone for digital sculptors, created by the makers of Zbrush.
- Blender - A powerful application with full-fledged professional tools, Blender has a wide community and resources to help you learn.
- SculptGL - This handy modelling program works online in your browser and is compatible with wacom tablets
- Synfig - Synfig Studio is a free and open-source 2D animation software, designed as powerful industrial-strength solution for creating film-quality animation using a vector and bitmap artwork.
- EmoFuri - EmoFuri is a new animation software that helps artists easily animate photoshop illustrations in a 2D-3D style.It uses PSD files of character illustrations to animate them.
- Pencil2D - Pencil2D is an open-source animation/drawing software that lets you create traditional hand-drawn animation using both bitmap and vector graphics.
- Live2D - This increasingly popular 2D-3D animation software is similar to Emofuri with sample models available to experiment with, and is also available in english.
- Piskel - An online pixel art app that lets you animate pixel art with a live preview of your work.
- Piq - While it doesn’t have the best looking layout, this online tool has lots of interesting features including a colour-drift tool that’s great for making colour palettes.
- Thisissand - An online fun and unique playground for creating colourful sandscapes, also comes in an app version
- Flame Painter - A free demo of the full program, it allows you to try out the flame generator and change different brush settings and paint your own flame paintings
- Silk - An online interactive generative art program that creates bright silk-like patterns, with options to change colours and rotational symmetry.
- Bomomo - This interesting program has a group of dots that move around the screen in the pattern you choose, then paint the canvas according to when you click the screen.
- Drawpile - Drawpile is a software collaborative drawing program that allows multiple users to sketch on the same canvas simultaneously.
- Incompetech - Thousands of royalty-free music clips ready for download, totally legal, totally awesome!
October 15, 2015
This video explores how director Bennett Miller consistently uses wide shots throughout Foxcatcher to highlight the physical and emotional distance between characters, their situations and how we, the audience relate to them.
October 14, 2015
October 13, 2015
Winner of numerous awards, this one-hour documentary received its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival, followed by a New York Film Society screening at Manhattan's Guggenheim Museum. The film illuminates the creation of Francis Ford Coppola's landmark San Francisco film company American Zoetrope, set against the changing landscape of American cinema in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Narrated by Richard Dreyfuss.
October 12, 2015
October 11, 2015
This is The Philippines is the most disaster-prone country in the world and Climate Change is a contributing factor. This video, commissioned by Oxfam, is an educational piece explaining how acting locally can have a global effect.
Produced by The Magnificent Itch
Produced by The Magnificent Itch
Posted by Ron at 11:51 AM
October 08, 2015
Posted by Ron at 7:09 AM
October 06, 2015
October 01, 2015
Posted by Ron at 7:28 AM